Monday, October 8, 2007

YEAH, another step closer...

So, It's been raining so I can't get a video, but just wanted to let you all know that We are SOOO proud of Andrew!! He was able to take the 2 big concrete steps in front of our house ALL BY HIMSELF!! Without any assistance!!!

Here's what happened....
On Friday, Like always, I let the boys out of the car which was parked in the garage. They always like to race to the front door to ring the doorbell... of course Matthew always wins unless Andrew distracts him with something or pushes him down. So Matthew was helping me to bring in their backpacks from school while Andrew headed to the door. Next thing you know he starts yelling "yeah I did it, Mommy I did it all by myself" and I thought he was talking about that he could finally reach the doorbell without climbing onto my flower pots. So I looked around the corner of the garage and he was descending the stairs in his own way, sort of crawing down them. Then he stood in front of the first step and said "watch me mommy, watch me" and he tried to take the step and did not lift his leg high enough and tripped onto the step. So I said "well try again, if you did it the first time, you can do it again". So he stood back up and was determined to show me he could do it. I stood back at the end of the sidewalk so that he could not reach for me and he DID IT, He took those 2 big steps without holding anything or anybody. We dont even have a hand rail on those steps and there is NOTHING for him to hold on to. Before he would sort of just crawl up the steps on his hands and feet and make it to the door. But it's been wet out and getting colder and I think he's realizing that if he could step up the steps, that he wouldnt get cold and wet! Things just keep getting better. It's one less thing that I need to worry about. I'm sure it will take some time, but at least he is trying and starting to take some more initiative to try things on his own without having to have an adult present.

I really feel like a lot of his delays are due to a confidence issue. I think that as soon as he gets the confidence to do something, he can do it. We try to motivate him with everything from, his favorite "Yoodles" (How he purposely says noodles) to ice cream, the park to the zoo! But sometimes it just takes some time for him to realize that he CAN do it if he tries. Most times he realizes by accident that he can do something. But I guess it doesnt matter how he gets there, as long as he does and even if he doesn't, we will love him just the same! I love his slower paced life. I love that he could sit with me for hours just talking. I love that he is so smart. I love that he is so genuine. I love *well not completely* Love it when he can be the big negotiator... makes me laugh every time. I love how he can wrap anyone around his finger by simply flashing his eyelashes on his big brown eyes and look at you sideways out of the corner of them with that missing tooth smile. It doesnt matter really if he never plays football or runs track... He'll still be that same amazing little boy.

Which, by the way, Andrew has decided that he now wants to play soccer... he's never been able to kick a ball before but ever since he decided to wear my knee high black socks to school under his shorts with a running jacket on, he thinks he is a soccer player. He tells us his friend Bryn at school plays soccer and that he wants to play too. (We think he just likes to wear the socks) So now he is determined to learn how to kick a ball. He's never been interested in "ball" games before, but now he is. So, fine by me. If he wants to play, he can play, whether he CAN kick the ball or not. I guess he could just be a goalie and probably a great one at that. Although I would RATHER see him play a "non-contact" sport like golf or swimming or just a great artist, painter or "teacher's Pet". But I guess we all want certain things for our children and we're trying really hard not to push our "wishes & dreams" on the boys. Sean would love to raise a "tiger woods" but I would rather raise a "Monet" or a "Beetoven", but I have a feeling that we'll probably have neither. I'm sure that one day the boys will have their own views on what they want to be and where they want to go in this life and no matter what we say, they will end up doing what they want. I feel there is nothing wrong with a little encouraging to help them find that inner skill or trait, but when it comes right down to it, they will find their own way and will be who they want to be... the wonderful individuals that they are!

So that's it for today... Stay tuned for more by the end of the week. Hopefully the rain will let up for me to grab a clip of Andrew going up the stairs alone. I am also planning on starting a blog for Matthew also. I feel like his part in our lives is just as important as Andrews. He is an amazing boy and if I dont get this stuff down in writing, I am afraid that one day I may forget all the funny things he says and does. The crazy things he says and does and the Horrible things he says and does!! lol. He's our wild child and we would love to share his life with you all. The good, the bad, and the ugly (or dirty, snotty, scratched up, bruised up little boy that he is) He's definitely all boy! Look out ladies, He's a lady's man! lol.

1 comment:

Mel said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's great to hear Andrew's progress and I get all teary eyed because I think it is so so very neat.

I love your way of writing. Keep documenting all the big and little things that happen.

Me & My Brother Matthew In St. Louis

Me & My Brother Matthew In St. Louis
"a BROTHER is a FRIEND given by nature"