Saturday, June 23, 2007

He's up and moving!!!!

Andrew had a great afternoon yesterday. They started his in bed therapy yesterday, basically just showing us how to position him more comfortably. Then in the later afternoon they showed us how to transfer him to his wheelchair so that we could finally take him out of his room! AHHH freedom. He's off all pain meds through IV and is completely disconected from all IVs and monitors. He is taking the occasional tylenol w/codene for pain and had his Valum last night before bed to prevent the nighttime muscle spasms.

This morning he was able to get out of bed to go to the Therapy Gym, which is unbelievable! He was not very cooperative after the first half hour, but he was able to get into crawling position on his own and was able to bear some weight on his legs.

Two funny comments from Andrew.... Yesterday while I was helping him to get dressed, while rubbing his thighs he said "Mommy, my legs are soft" and I said "Well yes, that's the whole idea behind all this" and he said "well I want them hard again".... That's how much of a difference there is that quickly... there is no longer any tightness in his hamstrings and he is able to place his feet flat by himself.

This morning as I was helping him to roll over he was wimpering and the nurse asked him where it hurt and he said, "Well, I don't think my legs are supposed to move like that, something is wrong!" LOL... Since he has no more tightness, he thinks his legs are not working right! He keeps saying, "My legs are broken mommy".

So, the doctors were right on how quick you would see a difference!

Anyway, he is in therapy now, and the family resource room is closing, so I will try to update more tonight at the hotel.

Thank you all for thinking of us and praying for us.

:) xoxoxo

1 comment:

Denise said...

What a releif !!!!!!!!!!:)
Way to go Andrew.........
Will you please tell Dr Park thanks from everyone. I am sure we all feel the same way. Everyone out there has done such a good job,Sean's parents, Kathy,Matthew Mel, Sean and Andrew. That little boy has a great support system. Keep up the good work one and all.
Love Aunt Denise

Me & My Brother Matthew In St. Louis

Me & My Brother Matthew In St. Louis
"a BROTHER is a FRIEND given by nature"